[HECnet] DECnet Implementation and Productization of RSX-11M, 11S, 11D and IAS (was Re: Anonymous FAL (Tops-20))

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jul 16 14:44:45 PDT 2019

On 2019-07-16 23:38, John Forecast wrote:

>> On Jul 16, 2019, at 2:46 PM, John Wilson <wilson at dbit.com> wrote:
>>
>> From: John Forecast <john at forecast.name>
>> [E11 on MIM]
>>> Does the simulator actually simulate the caches or just the control registers
>>> like SIMH?
>>
>> Just the control registers.  I hate doing an emulation of a speed-up
>> feature which actually slows it down (which is the case with the FASTBUS:
>> emulation for dual PDP-11/45s but there was no way around that -- making
>> the memory inherently mP-safe meant dinking with locks on every access,
>> so it's *much* slower to touch it than non-"FAST" core).
>>
> I suspected that was the case, but I just wanted to check. I wanted to run a comparison test
> between cache bypass on for all CEX code and selectively flushing the cache at strategic points through
> the code. What we ended up with was ~11/45 performance for the kernel code and ~n * 11/70
> performance for the application level code. Since there were only a couple of mP machine left (our dual
> and the RSX-11M+ quad), it wasn’t worth the extra work.

I think field service might have had one as well, but it might also have
been a later combination of the other two.

You might be amused to hear that CASTOR:: and POLLUX:: were later
disassembled and moved, and reemerged in Colorado Springs, and was named
PHEANX:: and was kept running until approximately the year 2000, when it
developed a hardware problem that was not considered worth fixing.
By now I'm sure all bits and pieces have been lost. :-(