[HECnet] HECnet routing costs

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jul 28 06:31:39 PDT 2019

People, I have written a page about DECnet costs and HECnet costs, which
I would recommend that anyone interested read through. It contains a bit
of elaboration on how DECnet does routing, and gives some suggestions on
how costs could be set on HECnet to make it perform better.

I have noticed over the years that sometimes we do get really silly
routing decisions just because of how people set, or do not set costs.
The page I've written is by no means perfect, nor are the suggestions in
there. But feel free to come with feedback, or ignore it. But I am going
to try and use this myself more properly from now on, and that means
that if others don't, you probably are going to get more traffic through
your nodes. Traffic that probably do not make sense that it passes
through you, but I just feel that I prefer to try and make it work right
from my point of view, and then just at least tell people how I worked
my numbers out. If someone have a different idea, I'm open to changing
my settings, but I will not try and do optimizations to achieve:
a) Same paths for packets in both directions - DECnet explicitly does
not do this.
b) Specifically penalize one type of interface because of any subjective
preference about that type of interface in general.

Oh - and the link to my writeup: http://mim.update.uu.se/costs.htm