[HECnet] Decnet on RSX-11

Mark Matlock mark at matlockfamily.com
Fri Jun 7 20:58:06 PDT 2019

Kurt,
   I think you need to have the “IP" network device NETGENed into DECnet.

  The fact that you first error occurs at the NCP SET PROC IP TOP makes me think that DECnet does not have a driver for the IP device loaded. When I made the “Frodo” distribution available, I did a new SYSGEN for an 11/70 and also a NETGEN. In the NETGEN for the Unibus system a “UNA” was the ethernet device and on a Qbus system (the actual Frodo 30.1) a QNA device is used.

   It would be helpful if you typed out LB:[5,54]CETAB.MAC as it could confirm if the IP device has been NETGENed in or not. In CETAB.MAC the 3rd actual line of code should look like:

PDV$DF  <AUX,EVL,ECL,XPT,NCT,RTH,LAT,DLX>,<EPM>,<UNA,IP>

Three lines below that should be:

SLT$DF  IP,IP,XPT,LF.TIM,0,0,,0.,0.,15.

   It’s been a while since I added the IP-0-0 LIN and Circuits to my system, but I try to do that to one of my PiDP-11s and post the walk through for it.

   Below I’ve put some information of the sequence of startup command files that may help you understand the files involved.

  In the LB:[1,2]STARTUP.CMD of the Frodo distribution RSX and DECnet are started as is normal for any RSX. It then chains to LB:[1,2]INSPROG.CMD which brings up the DU1: disk that you either download from RSX11M.COM or the Simh boot.ini will make a blank one.

  At the end of the INSPROG.CMD two questions are asked with timeouts. The first will load LAT and the second loads Johnny’s TCP/IP. It loads the TCP/IP by chaining to LB:[IP]IPINS.CMD which will load TCP/IP and either DHCP an IP address or set a static IP address. At the end of that file then LB:[IP]IPAPPL.CMD is executed which sets up FTP, TELNET, NTP and other applications.

  Now, in the Frodo distribution IPAPPL.CMD, there is a line that was either commented or deleted that chains to LB:[IPNET]INSHECNET.CMD which is used to link the actual node Frodo (HECnet 30.1) to MIM

  Your [IPNET]INS.CMD looks identical to the INSHECNET.CMD on Frodo including the host port # which may be something we need to change?

  Do you have a HECnet address from Johnny? Also, where are you planning to connect to HECnet?

There is a [IPNET]INS.NEW which is the template that Johnny provides and it does not have a port specified on MIM. I don’t remember the exact mechanics on MIM That accepts connections but that may be a function of that port # Frodo connects to MIM on IP-0-10 but that is not specified on Frodo but on MIM.

Best,
Mark