[HECnet] DECnet broken with 4.4.0-151 kernel

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jun 28 08:33:35 PDT 2019

On 6/28/19 12:03 AM, Gregg Levine wrote:
> Yes you do. With company in fact........ (Not explaining that one on
> list.) Now can you supply your instructions to doing everything?
> Especially since I seem to follow everything as to the first time I
> went over it, with the original author in fact, and using a 3COM 3C509
> -COMBO card on the hosting machine and targeting the terminal server I
> mentioned earlier. The Ethernet traces I kept generating seemed to
> indicate I was coming close. But I never saw the prompt on the
> terminal emulator. Same thing here. Both with the hub directly
> connected to a port on my regular router, and also to the computer
> with a separate networking device.

  For me, it was no more complex than installing the OS, installing the
DECnet packages, and putting my addresses in /etc/decnet.conf.
Everything just worked, and continues to work...there hasn't been any
need to fiddle with anything.

  Now it occurs to me that I cannot easily recreate this installation,
because I didn't keep a copy of the .deb files for the DECnet packages,
I just apt-get installed them, years ago.  I should probably go try to
find those packages.