[HECnet] Getting openvms going

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Nov 13 12:52:24 PST 2019

On 11/13/19 2:54 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> I have a license for openvms and an old openvms file. It's been so long
> I can't remember how to get the license into the simulator and simulated
> OS and apply it. If I can figure out how to do that I will try to get a
> C compiler and some TCP/IP things into the VMS.
>
>     Does anyone know where I can get some help loading the license. I
> seem to remember creating a ISO filewith the license in it and changing
> some attribs in VMS.

  You'll need to install the VAX-VMS and DVNETEND PAKs to get it talking
via DECnet, then any other license PAKs can be transferred.  Just typing
in those two PAKs is easy.

  You can copy/paste them from the terminal, but if you try it all at
once you'll hit a buffer overflow.  To address that, edit
SYS$SYSTEM:MODPARAMS.DAT and add the following lines:

MIN_TTY_TYPAHDSZ=4096
MIN_TTY_ALTYPAHD=4096

  ...then do:

$ SET DEFAULT SYS$UPDATE
$ @AUTOGEN GETDATA REBOOT NOFEEDBACK

  After the system comes back up, log in again, then you can paste in
much larger chunks without issues.