[HECnet] Getting openvms going

David Moylan djm at wiz.net.au
Wed Nov 13 12:56:14 PST 2019

> Hello,
>
> I have a license for openvms and an old openvms file. It's been so long
> I can't remember how to get the license into the simulator and simulated
> OS and apply it. If I can figure out how to do that I will try to get a
> C compiler and some TCP/IP things into the VMS.
>
>      Does anyone know where I can get some help loading the license. I
> seem to remember creating a ISO filewith the license in it and changing
> some attribs in VMS.

My solution was to install TCP/IP first and then FTP up the license file and modify it on OpenVMS.

This requires that I enter the licensing manually for UCX (and I usually do decnet at the same time, so DVNETEND, DVNETEXT, DVNETRTG)
[I just copy/paste this part across.]

Once I’ve got the license file on the OpenVMS machine (licensefile.com in this example) I convert it using:

$ SET FILE/ATTRIBUTE=(RFM=STM) licensefile.com
$ CONVERT/FDL=SYS$INPUT licensefile.com newlicensefile.com
    RECORD
      FORMAT STREAM_LF
<CTRL-Z>

You can then run the new licensefile a la @newlicensefile.com