[HECnet] Getting openvms going

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Nov 13 14:22:00 PST 2019

On 11/13/19 5:19 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>>    You'll need to install the VAX-VMS and DVNETEND PAKs to get it talking
>> via DECnet, then any other license PAKs can be transferred.  Just typing
>> in those two PAKs is easy.
>>
>>    You can copy/paste them from the terminal, but if you try it all at
>> once you'll hit a buffer overflow.  To address that, edit
>> SYS$SYSTEM:MODPARAMS.DAT and add the following lines:
>>
>> MIN_TTY_TYPAHDSZ=4096
>> MIN_TTY_ALTYPAHD=4096
>>
>>    ...then do:
>>
>> $ SET DEFAULT SYS$UPDATE
>> $ @AUTOGEN GETDATA REBOOT NOFEEDBACK
>>
>>    After the system comes back up, log in again, then you can paste in
>> much larger chunks without issues.
>>
>>            -Dave
>
> So I need to do this before the DVNETEND PAKS for decnet. Would i get
> these PAKS from HP too?

  DVNETEND is the PAK for a DECnet end node.  It comes with the hobbyist
license PAK kit, or at least it used to.  It's needed if you want to run
DECnet.  I suggested it because it's an easy way to get the rest of the
license PAKs on a new VAX (real or emulated) assuming you have other
DECnet running elsewhere on your network.