[HECnet] SCSI2SD for our vintage HECnet systems?

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Wed Nov 13 16:30:55 PST 2019

On 11/13/2019 1:46 PM, Jason Brady wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> In the interest of keeping our HECnet systems up and running, has anyone had experience with replacing hard drives with a SCSI2SD device?
>
> This is for an AlphaStation 400 4/233 with 2Gb RZ28E and M drives (Seagate ST32430N and Quantum), 50-pin connector. Also a DEC 3000 M400 with an RZ26 1Gb drive.
>
> Are the SCSI2SD units fully compatible and reliable?
>
> Can you recommend a particular model/brand that works well with our vintage DEC systems?
>
> If this has been addressed previously, appreciate a pointer to the discussion.
>
> Thank you,
> Jason

I've had mixed success, but I think it's just me.  I have a MicroVAX 3100 M95 (OpenVMS V7.3) that I tried both a V5.1 and V6.02 SCSI2SD card in and didn't have much luck.  Small amounts of I/O process okay - I could INIT a set of drives and look at the empty disk, but do a COPY of more than a few files and it would go into Mount Verification and eventually the SCSI bus locked up and the system would hang for a long time.  Usually I got out by pressing the interrupt button on the back of the machine.  It may well be a SCSI controller problem or something on the bus, but I haven't worked much to diagnose it yet.  I've conversed with others that have had no problems with MicroVAXen and V7.3 so I'm sure it's something in particular to my system. I keep meaning to order a V6.1 card but haven't tried yet.

My discussion on VCF.org DEC Forum:

<http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?66437-More-SCSI2D(-V6)-and-OpenVMS-Questions>

You may have problems with a VMS V6.0 system, but 6.1 might be patched to allow it:

<http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?66311-SCSI2SD-and-VMS-6-0>

<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.os.vms/RAaUpP_XXEw/zKLFo0SArjEJ>

On the other hand, I have a AlphaServer DS10 (OpenVMS V8.4) that works terrifically with either the V5.1 or V6.02 SCSI2SD cards.

Other VCF Forum threads discussing SCSI2HD:

<http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?69667-SCSI2SD-on-a-MicroVAX-3100>

<http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?62077-Any-DEC-RSTS-E-experts-out-there>

<http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?66074-SCSI-to-SD-Instructions&highlight=scsi2sd>

<http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?52011-Running-RT11-on-11-03-with-Emulex-UC07-and-SCSI2SD>