[HECnet] simh vax version

Bill Cunningham bill.cu at suddenlink.net
Sat Nov 16 12:43:15 PST 2019

On 11/16/2019 3:16 PM, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
> On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 11:26 AM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>> On 11/16/2019 3:40 AM, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
>>> You are working on a Linux system which has case sensitive file names, so
>> there is a distinct difference between vmst and VMST.  This command is
>> missing the device name TQ as well...
>>> The simh commands and many of their arguments (ansi-vms and -f) are case
>>> insensitive, but filenames are whatever the host system supports.
>>>
>>> In the latest commit, I've enriched the error messages issued when
>>> unrecognized arguments/files are presented to a tape attach.
>>>
>>> - Mark
>> OK I went to git and downloaded using the "clone" button the latest zip file.
> If you're using git, "git clone" is what you do to get a local "clone" of a remote repository (including all the git plumbing found in the .git directory).  If you're already working in a directory produced by a previous clone, you shouldn't be able to clone to that directory.
>
> In any case, cloning produces a working directory with the contents of the repo you just cloned.  It DOES NOT produce a zip file.  You can fetch a zip file (also referred to as a "git archive") of the latest code (without any git plumbing) from https://github.com/simh/simh/archive/master.zip You can then expand this zip and build.  Either approach works, but they DO NOT mix.
>
> I explained the above since you do not appear to  have picked up the latest code, which has a commit id of 318b0e32.

Ok I went to the link above and downloaded that simh-master.zip The
commit id is the same. There were also quite a few invisible directories
and files. A couple of files or so and a directory called "Travis" and
".git" directories too. I guess it is ok to remove these invisible files
and directories? Is this the "plumbing" you meant? And the nvram code I
use is the "Ka655x.bin" I should mention that too.

Bill