[HECnet] simh vax version

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Sat Nov 16 12:53:27 PST 2019

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 12:43 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> On 11/16/2019 3:16 PM, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
> >> there is a distinct difference between vmst and VMST.  This command
> >> is missing the device name TQ as well...

> >> OK I went to git and downloaded using the "clone" button the latest zip file.
> > If you're using git, "git clone" is what you do to get a local "clone" of a remote
> repository (including all the git plumbing found in the .git directory).  If you're
> already working in a directory produced by a previous clone, you shouldn't be
> able to clone to that directory.
> >
> > In any case, cloning produces a working directory with the contents of the
> repo you just cloned.  It DOES NOT produce a zip file.  You can fetch a zip file
> (also referred to as a "git archive") of the latest code (without any git
> plumbing) from https://github.com/simh/simh/archive/master.zip You can
> then expand this zip and build.  Either approach works, but they DO NOT mix.
> >
> > I explained the above since you do not appear to  have picked up the latest
> code, which has a commit id of 318b0e32.

> Ok I went to the link above and downloaded that simh-master.zip The commit
> id is the same.

Maybe the commit id for the source you fetched is the same, you currently aren't running that version (confirm simply by looking at what is displayed when you start the simulator).  After you pick up new source, you have to build a new binary.

Leave them there if you are working in that directory.  If you want git to fetch the latest updated code, "git pull https://github.com/simh/simh" should do the trick.

> Is this the "plumbing" you meant?

Yes.

> And the nvram code I use is the "Ka655x.bin" I should mention that too.

You don't need to load a Ka655x.bin.  It is built-in and will automatically be used if you don't explicitly attempt to load a different firmware version.  The built-in version will always work correctly.  Other versions may not be 'best'.