[HECnet] Apparently good news from VSI

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Wed Apr 22 11:23:12 PDT 2020

  This is good news, yes, but the problem is that there's no really good Alpha AXP simulator that I'm aware of, or at least not one that's free.  Simh can't do it at the moment.  I've used Charon-AXP and it's good, but the free version was pretty crippled and I don't even know if it still exists.  There are/were lots of other AXP simulator projects at one time - are any of them usable?

  Real Alphas are nice, but they're power hogs.  Unless you live in an area with very cheap electricity, I wouldn't plan on running one 24x7.

  Sounds like the VAX/VMS code will become "abandonware" - VSI doesn't own it, and HP doesn't want it.

Bob