[HECnet] Apparently good news from VSI

Fred fcoffey at misernet.net
Wed Apr 22 12:18:28 PDT 2020

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020, Robert Armstrong wrote:

>  Real Alphas are nice, but they're power hogs.  Unless you live in an
> area with very cheap electricity, I wouldn't plan on running one 24x7.

My DS10 isn't *too* bad, but power consumption is why I retired my VAX
4000/90A and virtualized it to SIMH.  I still have the 90A (stored inside,
in my main tech closet..) , as it was my first VAX.  I had a VLC at one
point and should have tried to repair it, sent it to another
collector/hobbyist for repair, from my recollection had power supply
trouble.  I'm hoping it was repaired and found a good home as an area
router. :)

This is also why some of my other retro systems aren't running 24/7, or I
need to get-around-to putting a kill-a-watt on them so I can do some math
and see how much they will spin my meter off the base. ;)

Fred