[HECnet] VMS/RSX Guest accounts

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:49:28 PDT 2020

I've had my fill of FAL and DAP for the moment and have turned to some
other things as sort of a 'break'.  The Tops-10 NFT client breaks on
certain file names that the 20 sends it, so there is going to be some
debugging to track that down.  Fortunately, a very patient person gave
me PPN on one of their 10's.

Right now, I'm working on bringing the Tops-20 mail system a bit more up
to date with respect to DECnet communications.  These were largely put
aside when full Internet connectivity happened. Still, the PANDA
distribution has some bit rot because I know that certain Columbia
changes for DECnet (to support CCnet) are not there.  I can't imagine
that we didn't send them to MRC; that would have been unthinkable.

Fortunately, I was able to remember enough to put some of them back so
that I got SMTP over DECnet working well, again.  It had been suffering
from about two minute timing delays and now it's instantaneous between
20's, like I remember.   Oddly enough, I don't remember what else ran
SMTP over DECnet; I'm certain that RSX and VMS could have done it.  I
think some VMS site might have.

However, most non-SMTP DECnet hosts on CCnet were running Mail-11, which
the 20 also groks.  In fact, it can convert Mail-11 addresses to SMTP
and route over other transports such as PUP, Chaos and TCP/IP as well as
DECnet.  We did a lot of mail routing for CCnet to the Internet on
CU20B, back in the day.

Unfortunately, there is some bit rot in some of the Tops-20 Mail-11
code, so I've got some tinkering to do.  Does anyone have a VMS or RSX
system that they'd care to give me a guest account on?  It doesn't need
any special capabilities; I'm just going to be sending mail and looking
a few raw headers over.