[HECnet] VMS/RSX Guest accounts

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 20:42:23 PDT 2020

Oh, I'm in Looooong Island, South Shore.

I actually have relatives not far from you in PA, but I hadn't gotten
around to noodging you yet for the distinct lack of 20's in your
collection.  I mean, you have a 4341 yet no 20?  Tisk, tisk...

Well, I'm pulling your leg a bit; a 20 is a seriously heavy lift.  A KL
has three purposes in life: 1) Generate Heat, 2) Suck Power, 3) Run
winning code.  A 2020 uses far less power, but doesn't have extended
addressing, so it is stuck at Tops-20 4.1, which leaves out a lot of
DECnet (and ARPAnet) stuff.  Apparently, you can squeeze 5.0 in; MRC did
this, but that was MRC.  Tops-20 is at version 7.0 now.

And both of them are seriously cranky beasts that needed care and
feeding from trained service personnel; wire wrap and all that (yech).
Remember, it's not a mainframe unless you can't fit it in your house and
have to take out a second mortgage to pay for the electricity and tons
(60 for a 20) of air conditioning.

So Paul Allen had a KL based 20, which is now in the the Living Computer
museum.  But that cost was apparently less than a rounding error
compared to what he was worth.  A mere monetary blip, as it were.