[HECnet] VMS/RSX Guest accounts

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 23 21:17:08 PDT 2020

On 4/23/20 10:14 PM, Thomas DeBellis wrote:
> For me, not only is the miracle that Dave can resurrect these monsters
> decades after they were in service, but that somehow he appears to enjoy
> doing it.  Maybe it's due in part that he doesn't have a couple hundred
> livid angry users making the phone glow red.

  Those days are long past for me. ;)  Years ago, I moved entirely into
embedded systems development, where I can reasonably (and indeed, am
expected to) spend a whole day optimizing out a few cycles or a few
bytes.  I still do my own systems and network engineering, and
occasionally for others, but I don't like to make a living at it anymore.

  I got into DEC machines (PDP-8 and PDP-11, initially) before I was
professionally employed doing anything, in my mid-teen years, so my love
for them runs deep.  I've used them "at work" early on, but not for
long, as much of my professional network-wrangler career is UNIX
machines, about 75% Sun, with some DEC and SGI on the side.