[HECnet] VMS/RSX Guest accounts

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 21:08:43 PDT 2020

Funny you should say that; I went from Tops-20 systems programming to
embedded systems development for 4 or 5 years.

If you Google the ProDisk-464, you can see the system I worked on.  I
designed a high speed crash proof file system specifically for
multi-channel audio recording in 1989 and worked on it until 91 or 92.

The system had a time division multiplex bus which would allow up to 64
channels of audio, which nobody was doing in the digital realm, back
then.  The audio was split up to storage units (or SU's) where my code
ran.  Each SU could handle four channels of sound and was running my
operating system in 80286 protected mode.

Despite what Bill Gates says, I loved that processor.  It was finicky
about selector usage and length and wrung a lot of bugs out.  The user
interface was on a Mac, partly written in C. Sometimes to find bugs
that, I would cross compile it and run it on the 286.

Every so often, I had to tweak things into assembler to meet the real
time requirements.  The only problem was an AMD 9516 DMA controller that
we used.  It was very nice, being able to execute short channel
programs.  This worked well almost all the time; in fact, it was pretty
wonderful--a lot easier than an RH20.

And along came the extreme cases; since it was reading its channel
program from the same memory that was being DMA'd to, for very short
transfers (like a few words), you could blow it completely and not get
to the interrupt in time. Bad...  Very audible.  The solution really
broke my heart; I had to toss all my fine interrupt and channel building
code and sit in a tiny loop polling.  Ugh...

Every time I think about getting back into embedded systems, I think
about the 9516 and ... think about doing something else.