[HECnet] VMS/RSX Guest accounts --> 2020 Unibus(ses) --> Tops20 V4/5

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 11:55:20 PDT 2020

LingLing, as well as MRC's other 2020's made it out to Seattle (Living
Computer Museum).  I had asked them whether they had been able to
recover any software off them, but I have yet to hear anything.  I ought
to check in; they did some interesting recovery work on a PDP-8 that I
enjoyed reading about.

I don't have a series 5 monitor handy, but for 7, the symbols live in
section 5 and appear to be taking up about 253 pages of space.  That
number may not be completely representative; the bug strings might be in
there, too.  At any rate, you can get a feel for what engineering must
have been up against when they went with symbol hiding in 4 and what MRC
must have had to do to re-hide them in 5 along with the new code.

I think once he re-hide them, he probably had plenty of space and that 1
MW wouldn't have made any difference.  I presume that for two reasons:

 1. You can see what kind of space got freed up; he wouldn't have needed
    the additional memory.  The real work would have been moving the
    .PSECT's and storage around to fit in a single section as well as
    modifying the macros for intersection transfer.  One imagines that
    KDDT would have needed some retrofitting to get at the other address
    space.
 2. Move over, using additional sections in the monitor might have been
    'hard' because you are talking about switching address spaces to
    transfer execution; essentially having the monitor task switch
    itself into another part.

As of 6, you get CFS support, which is a bucket load of code.  I think
maybe Phase IV, if that only runs over NI; I think that may be the case
because I believe the DN20's remained at Phase III.  I seem to recall
that we were actually thinking of removing them at one point; that was
mostly because of the potential saving in cooling and power (which
didn't turn out to be that much).