[HECnet] Hello from New Zealand

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Aug 2 12:05:58 PDT 2020

> On Aug 1, 2020, at 7:40 PM, Robert Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
>
> >if you are in a situation where the machine running your multinet connection
> >may be up/down and this affects your connectivity then my recommendation
> > would be to setup a machine running pyDECnet.
>
>   John’s biggest problem is that he doesn’t have a DVNETRTG license; he only has an end node.  That means the machine running Multinet can’t also talk over the Ethernet to his other machines at the same time.   pyDECnet would also solve the problem, but he’s running Windows and doesn’t have any Linux machines.

I haven't tried to run pyDECnet on Windows (I try to avoid that OS).  But since Windows is portable it ought to work.  The one issue is how to do Ethernet, if you want real Ethernet.  There are several flavors.  The one I usually use is pcap, which I think exists in Windows as well.  Perhaps not quite compatible, but that should be fixable.  Perhaps I should give this a try.

If you want to use IP based stuff, like GRE or Multinet or DDCMP, I would expect it should just work.

	paul