[HECnet] Configuring py-decnet.

Wilm Boerhout wboerhout at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 04:24:46 PDT 2020

Thord Nilson schreef op 22-8-2020 om 12:29:
> Hello all!
> I am trying to test up decnet iv on a rsts/e 10.1 system on simh and
> hopefully connect to hecnet. Currently borrowing a node name/number
> from Peter L.
>
> Is the following setup workable/suitable?
>
> rsts/e --> delqua --> virtual tap ethernet --> pydecnet -->
> real-ethernet --> GRE tunnel.
>
> Anyone who has done this and willing to share the setup used?
> Or any good links?
>
> I have not found a decnet-iv manual for rsts/e online, but maybe the
> rsx manuals are usable. Anyone know?
>
> Best regards,
> Thord.

Hi Thord,

I have a slightly different setup, that is working well:

*** On one Raspberry Pi with simh v4.0, I am running DECnet/E V4.1 on
RSTS 10.1. Node PIRSTS::

The Pi's physical Ethernet eth0 is bridged with a tap device on br0 for
outside access.

The tap device is assigned to simh's DELQA (set xq type=DELQA; att XQ tap0)

*** On another Raspberry, pydecnet is configured, also on a bridged tap
device, to connect to the HECnet in area 29 (node ONAPI4::)

in the pydecnet config file are two circuits:

circuit TAP-1 Ethernet --cost 1 tap:tap1 --random-address

circuit MUL-29 Multinet --cost 2 xx.yy.zz.aa:portx:connect

This last line connects me to the HECnet IP-node that expects a
connection. This is something that you have to agree with your "HECnet
partner".

Note that I am not using (lib)pcap on any of my simh nodes. bridging the
physical Ethernet with a tap device makes this unnecessary.

/Wilm