[HECnet] PyDECnet and IPv6

David Moylan djm at wiz.net.au
Tue Dec 1 14:29:14 PST 2020

I feel the same way.

Ubiquiti run two series of products - the "UniFi" range and the "Edge" range.
The "UniFi" range is designed to be run from the controller, set and forget but with limited options.
The "Edge" range is designed to be locally configured with advanced options.

The USG is a similar product. Internally it's a "dumbed down" Edgerouter and it is let down by the lack of control features from the UniFi controller. I only have a limited range of simple options to choose from (simple networking, firewalling and DHCP etc), whereas on the Edgerouter I can setup rate shaping, traffic control, failover links, local DNS resolution, split horizon DNS, VPN (client and server) and all kinds of sophisticated firewall magic.

The switches are the same.

In some situations this is ideal. I deploy Unifi Switches to branch offices for the "set and forget" nature of it all. Technical requirements are low and the UniFi controller provides me all of the visibility I need, such as tracing network ports and uplink connections.

But the same switch in the "Edge" range is a layer 3 powerhouse. I can run DHCP and DNS and layer 3 routing with ACL's and all kinds of stuff on the switch itself.

I also run the UNMS controller for all of my Edge products, primarily the Edgerouters. Having remote CLI access and automatic config backup along with alerting for all of my routers is a godsend. It makes a dead router replacement a trivial activity as I already have the last known backup ready to restore.

And the controllers are free. Not some expensive product from Cisco that I need to keep under maintenance.

Cheers, Wiz!!