[HECnet] PyDECnet and IPv6

David Moylan djm at wiz.net.au
Thu Dec 3 04:28:15 PST 2020

On 2 Dec 2020, at 2:33 pm, John H. Reinhardt <johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org> wrote:

Normally that would but the ER series is a little different.  The "firmware" upgrade replaces the whole / file system with pre-packaged installs.  They have a place you can put things to ride out the upgrade though. It's just a pain to do it.  Building on the ERL would be interesting also as it's meant purely as a run environment and most of the build chain doesn't exist and would have to be installed.  At one time when I was messing with the BIND9 DNS server I'd thought about building an ER build virtual machine (it's an ARM CPU) but didn't go through the trouble. I just moved my DNS and DHCP to a RasPi where it's all much easier.

I install Python3 and PyDECnet on my (old, 2 GB total flash size) BeagleBone Black.  To run the build locally rather than cross-building -- slower but easy -- I had to plug in a micro-SD card for extra space, but once the build was done the actual installed code fit fine on that root file system.  You can see the result on HECnet, node PYBBB.

   paul

Rasmus Lerdorf has an interesting (older) blog post about upgrading the version of php on the edgerouter. He installed gcc onto his ERL and compiled his code. He noted that there wasn’t a tool chain to target the cpu on this device for him to compile from another machine. It worked out well and it’s actually part of the production builds now.

https://toys.lerdorf.com/upgrading-php-on-the-edgerouter-lite

Cheers, Wiz!!