[HECnet] SIMH experience?

G. gerry77 at mail.com
Mon Feb 24 17:01:08 PST 2020

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 19:28:41 -0500, Paul Koning wrote:

> Multinet over UDP is especially evil.  Multinet over TCP isn't quite as bad,
> so if you must use Multinet, be sure to use the TCP flavor.
>
> However, anything else is better.  GRE and Johnny's bridge software are two
> good options.  Another one, if you use SIMH, is to use a DDCMP connection.

If I'm not wrong, Multinet over UDP does not work well at all because it
makes use of a point-to-point connection which in turn implies an underlying
error-free link that UDP could not actually offer.

Probably I'm missing something else, but wouldn't the TCP flavor be of
comparable reliabilty to other solutions, given that TCP would present to
the point-to-point link a dependable error-free path?

Thanks! :)
G.