[HECnet] SIMH experience?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Feb 24 16:28:41 PST 2020

> On Feb 24, 2020, at 6:49 PM, Robert Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
>
>  FWIW, I think the "flapping" is a Multinet problem.  I have no problems
> with simh and DECnet connections over the local Ethernet.

Not surprising.  Multinet is a design error.  With enough effort it can be made to work to some extent, but it's by far the least desirable of all your communication possibilities.

Multinet over UDP is especially evil.  Multinet over TCP isn't quite as bad, so if you must use Multinet, be sure to use the TCP flavor.

However, anything else is better.  GRE and Johnny's bridge software are two good options.  Another one, if you use SIMH, is to use a DDCMP connection.  All these options are correctly designed and should work well.  If the network connection is lossy, DDCMP is probably the best option.

	paul