[HECnet] Intermittent Connection with PyDECnet?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 10:06:25 PST 2020

Line of sight reminds me of another crazy idea I once heard about.

On one side of a valley in a highly wooded rural area, a technical
writer was highly desirous of broadband, yet none was to be had.  Whaay
away, on another side, broadband was available.  So what he did was find
somebody over there who could get broadband and offered to pay the
service.  Then he got a pair of access points (AP's) and set them up as
'repeaters'.  This is the cool part: he connected the AP's to some
pretty awesome yagi's.

Bingo.  Broadband.  I thought this was a pretty fine hack, but I forget
where I read it.

DSL is _plenty_ fast for DECnet.  Heck, I remember when a KMC (56 Kbps)
was nearly incomprehensible.  You only need megabit speeds for
multi-media.  Even audio will work over DSL (I know, I had it).  I'd
finish things up with your parents.

If there is public broadband (say a library) somewhere plausible, you
might be able to do this with only one yagi.