[HECnet] Intermittent Connection with PyDECnet?

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Mon Mar 2 10:26:53 PST 2020

Mark,

  You haven't said how you plan to connect on your end (or if you did, I
missed it).  Are you going to run Multinet on VMS, either on a real machine
or simulated?  Or are you going to run Paul's pyRouter (requires a Linux or
some *nix box)?   There are other choices, like GRE on a Cisco router, but
unless you have one of those it's not an option.

  If you're going to use Multinet on VMS, then SSH et al is a non-starter
because Multinet doesn't do that.  If you want pyRouter to talk to pyRouter,
then I guess we can do whatever Paul is willing to implement.

  And you'll have only one connection to me for all your machines.  Whatever
you connect to me will serve as a DECnet router for the rest of your
machines, and you'll have to set up some kind of local network at your
location to interconnect all of them.

  And the idea of a Ham radio AX.25 connection is cute but it's not
realistic.  A) we're too far apart (I live in Silicon Valley) for anything
other than an HF connection and that'd be agonizingly slow, b) can't really
leave an HF transceiver running unattended all the time, and c) the
legalities of using ham radio for Internet connections are tricky at best
(the FCC doesn't allow amateur radio to be used for any commercial
purposes).  Sorry.

Bob