[HECnet] Intermittent Connection with PyDECnet?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Mar 2 11:57:54 PST 2020

On 2020-03-02 20:47, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Mar 2, 2020, at 2:43 PM, Robert Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
>>
>>> PyDECnet right now has a listening port per circuit, and allows one
>> connection on that ...
>>
>>   So it's correct that in the current implementation a site would need a
>> unique port for every Multinet TCP listen connection?
>>
>>   Just want to make sure I'm not imposing needless restrictions...
>
> In the current PyDECnet, yes.  I don't think this would be terribly hard to change if there's demand for that.  In TCP, that is.  UDP traffic from several remotes sharing a port would be trickier and I'm less inclined to take that on.

Not that hard, really. You just look, for each packet, where it came
from, and then you know which circuit it belongs to. And outgoing, you
just check which circuit it comes from, and that gives what remote
address it should be sent to.

My understanding is that for VMS, they usually all are using the same
port, and this VMS do handle.