[HECnet] Intermittent Connection with PyDECnet?

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Mon Mar 2 12:09:28 PST 2020

>My preference would be to use PyDECnet for my upstream connection.

  Sounds good.   Get a copy (Supratim wrote a nice blog about setting stuff
up)

https://supratim-sanyal.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-decnet-linux-experience-it-
works.html

Let me know when you're ready.  A Multinet TCP connection is still the way
to go, even though nobody is actually using Multinet in this case.

>I'd probably also run a SIMH emulation or two on the same host

  Be aware that multiple simh instances, or pyDECnet, on the same host can't
talk to each other on the same physical NI.  You'll have to set up a tap
device to connect them (or have multiple NIs, but that's usually overkill).
Not a problem, really - just an extra step.

>No problem (amateur radio) at all.

  You can always try to find somebody local to connect with, and they can
route packets onto the Internet for you.  Once it gets on the Internet it
doesn't matter to me where it comes from...

Bob