[HECnet] MACRO-11 cross assembler for VMS

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 15:45:18 PST 2020

Didn't early Vaxen (11/780) also execute PDP-11 code?  I would imagine
there would have been a PDP-11 assembler, but it might have been a
(RSX?) PDP-11 based one hosted on VMS.  I also (briefly) used the VAX
assembler.  Anyway, there would have been no need for a cross assembler.

The IBMSPL product for Tops-20 came with PDP-11 source code for the
DN60.  I remember building images for execution, typically for simple
things like tweaking the EBCDIC/ASCII translate tables to make somebody
happy.  What would have been nice would have been to change them on the
fly, but we never bothered.  I also fixed a small bug for HASP.  Or at
least I think I remember I did...

All I have now are the DN60 (simulated) JSYS  files, which give an
interface to communicate with the DN60 over the DTE.  These are in
MACRO-10.  No IBMSPL, not front end stuff.  Maybe I'll stumble over it
one of these days.