[HECnet] HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 11:02:12 PST 2020

Back before Digital was bought (perhaps by Compaq before HP swallowed
them both), Bob Supnik posted a free, personal use, non-commercial
license for the 36 bit line.  However, this had to be filled out and
sent to Digital's Corporate Licensing Office. As this was in 1996, it's
unclear who would be accepting delivery now...

However, there was some speculation about the licensing by some
parties.  Tops-20 was developed directly from TENEX at DEC by some of
the same employees who had developed TENEX at BBN.  However, this was
done in part with ARPA funding and licensing for TENEX was far
different.  Basically anybody could use it.  Certain KL replacement
products (viz., FOONLY) used TENEX.

XKL (or Cisco) did pay Digital a certain amount of money for use of the
TCP/IP implementation, but I don't know what rights XKL holds.  The code
bases have diverged somewhat (TOAD Tops-20 supports a 30 bit virtual
address space vs. the KL B's 23).