[HECnet] The Straw...

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 07:55:27 PDT 2020

Hi,

Well this is kinda sad but inevitable. I have been considering for some time surrendering my DEC/VMS systems to the community in some form or other for a while as they aren’t being used at all. The announcement from HPE that they are closing the Hobbyist programme and VSI’s reluctance/non-committal attitude to Hobbyists has pushed me towards Feeling like they aren’t worth hanging onto anymore.

I am also at the stage where I may as well move on some other stuff that’s sitting gathering dust too.

Thus I have the following machines that I will surrender to a good home. They are mostly collect-only from UK LN11 Postcode area:

= VAXstation 4000/60
- Free. It was a freebie to me from Matt Burke and has matching keyboard and mouse, so I’m spreading the joy.
- It’s in very clean and well kept condition. Can supply VGA compatible video cable.
- Collect only. Sorry. It’s too fragile for me to pack and hip without taking out shares in a bubblewrap company

= DEC Alpha PWS 600au
- A reasonable monetary offer will take this, as a guide I’d say GBP50 but make offers I’m not going to ask a lot for it if you can collect it.
- There s chance I, might be able to ship this as it’s not too fragile and is PC shaped so I have a box it might fit in.

= HP zx6000 rack mount dual Itantium (2x 12GHz, 24GB RAM)
- Again, reasonable offers around GBP50 will take this

= IBM Intellistation 9111-285 POWER workstation
 - I love it but it\s hug and ornery and way too power hungry for my electric bill
 - It’s a single core somewhere in the 1.8GHZ ballpark from memory. Last I checked the PSU was fine.
 - It comes with a plethora of drive sleds, graphics cards (all IBM GXP cards that work in AIX) and probably some AIX Media.
 - Feel free to take it for free. The space is worth more to me than the computer at this stage!

= A couple of Top Gun blue DEC SCSI StorageWorks boxes with sleds and drives and interface cards. One has a 40X Plextor CDROM in one of the big chunky bay adapters.

All contact should be taken off-list unless the questions are relevant to other prospective takers.

Thanks.

—

Mark