[HECnet] HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Sat Mar 7 15:26:04 PST 2020

>From owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE  Sat Mar  7 17:55:30 2020
>As far as I am aware, IAS was not included in the sale of PDP-11
>software from DEC to Mentec.

That was my understanding too.  I remember seeing it on a DEC price
list after the Mentec transfer, as a class L license only (Q-bus, no
Unibus), and for a crazy high price ($20K-$30K IIRC).  Which kind of
lent value to the rumor I'd heard at the time:  that DEC withheld IAS
from Mentec because there was some particular high-value customer still
buying it, and DEC wasn't yet tired of taking their money.  The single
choice for the license made it sound like there was only one config
still in play (i.e. whatever that customer used).

>So I guess IAS is still fully under HPE control. But good luck finding
>anyone in there who even knows about it...

Yeah ...

John Wilson
D Bit