[HECnet] Intermittent Connection with PyDECnet?

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sun Mar 8 11:48:34 PDT 2020

> On Mar 2, 2020, at 12:09 PM, Robert Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd probably also run a SIMH emulation or two on the same host
>
>  Be aware that multiple simh instances, or pyDECnet, on the same host can't
> talk to each other on the same physical NI.  You'll have to set up a tap
> device to connect them (or have multiple NIs, but that's usually overkill).
> Not a problem, really - just an extra step.

I haven't forgotten about hooking up to HECnet; I've just been busy getting the pieces in place. I have been meaning to re-implement my main router/DNS/DHCP/NAT server for various reasons, and this project prompted me to get around to doing that. I just got it mostly-working last night, and now I'm studying the TUN/TAP and bridging stuff to figure out how to get it working properly on that server. Once I have that set up, I'll get SIMH emulations on that server and physical machines on my local network talking to each other. And then, finally, I can bring up a PyDECnet link!

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/