[HECnet] RSX AME problems...

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Sun Mar 8 12:13:08 PDT 2020

  I know there are a lot of ex-DEC people here, so I thought I'd ask -

 Another HECnet user kindly gave me a copy of the RSX AME kit for VMS, v2.5.
AFAIK that's the latest version, from around 1990, and I decided to install
it on LEGATO (a simh VAX with OVMS 7.3).  I dutifully read the release notes
and followed all the directions about account quotas, global pages, etc.
The installation  went off without a hitch - no errors, and the IVP runs
successfully.  Great!

  The PDP-11 utilities work fine by themselves - MAC, TKB, etc.  I can
assemble and link a program with no problem.

  BUT, the MCR CLI doesn't work.  Logging in or spawning a process with
/CLI=MCR fails with

               %MCR-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image MBX

-CLI-E-IMAGEFNF, image file not found
LEGATO$DUA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][001054]MBX.EXE;

Poking around a bit, I find that the installation created a file called
SYS$MANAGER:RSX$MCR_COMMANDS.CLD.  (.CLD is the extension for VMS Command
Definition files, which extend the DCL parse tables with new commands).  And
this file conveniently defines, along with several other things, an MBX
command.  Oddly there seems to be no mention of this file in the release
notes and no reference to it in the KITINSTAL, but fine - maybe I'm supposed
to use it.

  So, SET COMMAND SYS$MANAGER:RSX$MCR_COMMANDS and the "$MBX" gives

               %DCL-E-INVROUT, invalid routine specified in command tables -
check .CLD file

I'm starting to think that the RSX AME, or at least the MCR CLI, doesn't
work on VMS7.3.  Can anybody shed any more light on this?

Bob