[HECnet] US DST

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 12:29:31 PDT 2020

Yes, I've thought about it some more; you have to be right.

I had to do some research into Tops-20's internal date and time format
in order to do special pages right for FTP (see previous) and I went
back to the DAYTIME module in the monitor to see what's going on.  What
happens is that the internal date and time isn't changed at all; a table
triggers a formatting change to switch to Daylight Saving Time.  Given
what I knew about the EXEC, I should have remembered that.  Oh well.

It follows that this is what the C library is probably be doing.  If you
change the internal system time, then you can get either a gap or
overlap in accounting records which can drive billing systems crazy.
> On 3/8/20 5:37 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
> NTP does actually not solve this at all. NTP does all time in UTC.
> It's up to the local machine to figure out if DST is applicable or
> not, and how to apply it.
>> On 2020-03-08 22:28, Thomas DeBellis wrote:
>>
>> A lot of that has changed nowadays with NTP clients; even if the base
>> operating system doesn't support time change, an NTP client can
>> address that.  So all my systems advanced appropriately, as did an
>> old radio clock.  I'm not sure how *nix does it, but I don't remember
>> Ultrix having the code on our 8650 (or 8700). Tops-20 will do the
>> change whether or not a client exists as the code is in the monitor.
May I ask what version of NTP do you support and do you handle
authenticated connections?  The 20 has an Internet time synchronization
program, but is quite primitive (the algorithm first being supported by
ITS).  I'm not dissatisfied enough to write my own NTP.  Yet...