[HECnet] US DST

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Mar 9 13:52:03 PDT 2020

On 2020-03-09 20:29, Thomas DeBellis wrote:
> May I ask what version of NTP do you support and do you handle
> authenticated connections?  The 20 has an Internet time synchronization
> program, but is quite primitive (the algorithm first being supported by
> ITS).  I'm not dissatisfied enough to write my own NTP.  Yet...

Oh, I'm sure you are not going to be interested in my implementation.

First of all, it uses NTPv3. However, no, I don't care about
authenticated data.

And since RSX don't have anything equivalent of adjtime(), all I can do
is do hard changes, so I only adjust if the delta is becoming too big
(which in my case is lots of seconds). And since I have such lousy
requirements on precision, I also do not try to actually get a very
accurate time to start with. So it simply drags a timestamp out of an
NTP server, and then I set the time based on that.

It's very simple. But it's good enough for the things I want it for. :-)
It's about 200 lines of C in total. And that is with all the twiddling
of RSX.