[HECnet] Intermittent Connection with PyDECnet?

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Fri Mar 13 09:44:48 PDT 2020

I'm taking a day off from work because it's a rainy day, and I live on a muddy dirt road. I always worry about getting my truck stuck in the mud. I haven't gotten fully stuck before, but I have gotten pretty close. Might as well experiment with DECnet!

My cast of characters is:

gruumsh: Debian Buster system serving as my router, dhcp, local dns, etc. When I'm connected to the Internet, I have my iPhone plugged into gruumsh as a cellular hotspot.

HUSKY: VAX-11/785 simh emulation running OpenVMS 7.3 on gruumsh

BEAGLE: VAX-11/785 simh emulation running OpenVMS 7.3 on a BeagleBone Green, connected to the same LAN as gruumsh

DOGRTR: PyDECnet node running on gruumsh

HUSKY and BEAGLE talk to each other nicely via DECnet

HUSKY and DOGRTR appear to be able to talk to each other nicely. They each report the other as being adjacent, and HUSKY can NCP LOOP NODE DOGRTR

BEAGLE and DOGRTR seem to have connectivity in one direction only. DOGRTR reports that BEAGLE is adjacent, but BEAGLE does not report DOGRTR as adjacent, and cannot NCP LOOP NODE DOGRTR. It appears to me that DOGRTR can hear BEAGLE, but BEAGLE cannot hear the packets that DOGRTR sends.

My PyDECnet config is:

# DOGRTR config file for PyDECnet
#circuit tap-0 Ethernet pcap:tap0 --hwaddr AA:00:04:00:2A:04
circuit tap-0 Ethernet pcap:tap0 --random-address
routing 1.42 --type l1router
node 1.42 DOGRTR
node 1.17 BEAGLE
node 1.785 HUSKY
#node @nodenames.dat
system --identification "DOGRTR PyDECnet Router"

--
Mark J. Blair <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/