[HECnet] RSX or RSTS

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Sat Mar 21 08:30:55 PDT 2020

> Steve Davidson <steve at davidson.net>
>With two drives why not put both operating systems on.

  Not a bad idea...  Just out of curiosity, can RSX mount RSTS file systems or vice versa?  So I could share user files between the two systems if I did that?

> do you have stock in your local electric company?

  PG&E ?!?  I certainly hope not (although I have to admit that my retirement plan might have their stock in the portfolio - it's pretty common to do so).  After their last rate hikes, I think the current baseline PG&E rate is 12 cents/kWh, and tier 1 (which I end up in most of the time) is about 19 cents/kWh.  I can't afford to leave any of the old computers running 24x7.  I'd like to, but it's just not possible.  Instead I run simh on some Intel Atom thing.  The whole PC, including the SSD, uses about 10-15W and can simulate a whole garage full of old computers, each one faster than the original hardware.  Kinda sad in a way, but that's progress...

  I'll have to measure the power draw of the 11/53 and BA123.  I don't think it really uses 625W - that's just what the power supplies are rated for, maximum - but it'd be interesting to see the real figure.

Bob