[HECnet] RSX or RSTS

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Sun Mar 22 08:57:20 PDT 2020

>Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>It's the base level designation.

  Thanks, Paul.  So did the base level releases come before the real
release, as in something like alpha test, beta test, field test, etc?  That
would that mean that "10.1" (no letter) is a later release than "10.1L"?

  Or was it the other way around - the base levels were issued after the
main release ?  In that case 10.1L is later than 10.1?

Bob

P.S.  I worked for DEC SWS for several years, but I remember us calling it
"base line" rather than "base level".  Probably a regional thing.  We used
the term for any snapshot of the code base at some defined milepost, either
in time or functionality, and hopefully with stuff mostly working (though
not always so much :)   I still use "base line" today for the exact same
thing.