[HECnet] RSX or RSTS

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Mar 22 09:42:45 PDT 2020

> On Mar 22, 2020, at 11:57 AM, Robert Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
>
>> Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>> It's the base level designation.
>
>  Thanks, Paul.  So did the base level releases come before the real
> release, as in something like alpha test, beta test, field test, etc?  That
> would that mean that "10.1" (no letter) is a later release than "10.1L"?
>
>  Or was it the other way around - the base levels were issued after the
> main release ?  In that case 10.1L is later than 10.1?

No, the base levels were during the development cycle.  So the first internal checkpoint would have bee 10.1A, beta might have been 10.1G or something like that, and production release a few baselevels later so L.  The release would get whatever base level designation applied to the final baselevel of the release cycle.

There was also a DEC convention, I don't remember if RSTS used it but I know RT11 did it at least at one time, which is to use the V prefix for production releases, X for internal development baselevels, and Y for beta.  I have tucked away a copy of RT11 Y02-20, so a beta snapshot of the V2 release.

	paul