[HECnet] RT-11 filesystems, was Re: DECnet-RT?

Steve Davidson steve at davidson.net
Tue Mar 31 11:19:33 PDT 2020

Dave,

RT11's file system can only address 32MB of space.  It only uses a
clustersize of "1" so it is limited.  Partitioning the disk into
logical areas was the way the DU driver got around this.

You are correct that the RM drives are limited to the first physical
32MB of disk space.  They did not use partitioning until the DU class
of drives came out.  The reasoning was that the older drives would not
be around much longer anyway so why bother.

I wrote a driver (handler in RT11 speak) for the RP06 that eventually
made use of the partitioning scheme that the DU devices used.  I got
the idea from Greg Adams (the original author of the DU driver/handler)
but alas, it is long long gone!  Oh well...

-Steve