[HECnet] RT-11 filesystems, was Re: DECnet-RT?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Mar 31 11:24:40 PDT 2020

On 3/31/20 2:19 PM, Steve Davidson wrote:
> RT11's file system can only address 32MB of space.  It only uses a
> clustersize of "1" so it is limited.  Partitioning the disk into
> logical areas was the way the DU driver got around this.

  Yes, I'm aware of that.

> You are correct that the RM drives are limited to the first physical
> 32MB of disk space.  They did not use partitioning until the DU class
> of drives came out.  The reasoning was that the older drives would not
> be around much longer anyway so why bother.

  Ok, that's understandable.  So if I want to use RT-11 on this RM02,
just for hardware checkout and exercise purposes, I could format and
initialize it, but it would show up as a 32MB volume?

  (I would just try it, but I'm not at the museum today)

> I wrote a driver (handler in RT11 speak) for the RP06 that eventually
> made use of the partitioning scheme that the DU devices used.  I got
> the idea from Greg Adams (the original author of the DU driver/handler)
> but alas, it is long long gone!  Oh well...

  Wow ok, so it didn't get included in the RT11 distribution?

  And you didn't take a copy home?! ;)

  Wanna write it again? =)