[HECnet] RT-11 filesystems, was Re: DECnet-RT?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Mar 31 14:25:06 PDT 2020

> On Mar 31, 2020, at 5:16 PM, Thomas DeBellis <tommytimesharing at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> How did you format the tape?  A TU55 DECtape could be formatted, but I thought that the cassette tapes had to be bought preformated.

You may be thinking TU58 here.  Those are block-addressable like TU56, just slow and unreliable.

TA11 is essentially a magtape on an audio casette medium.  Just like 7 or 9-track tape, there is no formatting, and you can only write sequentially.  See the Handbook, it describes it clearly enough.

	paul