[HECnet] RT-11 filesystems, was Re: DECnet-RT?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Mar 31 14:45:00 PDT 2020

I've forgotten to be honest -- IIRC, no formatting was needed like a
traditional tape drive.   But it is possible we may have had a program to
do the formatting and I've just forgotten it. I do remember that it was a
very simple, saturation scheme. We had a scope on the read electronics of
the TA11 and decoded it all.   NRZ style, 8-bit bytes, no parity, fixed
blocks with a prefix and suffix - serial encoding (unlike a 7/9-track) -
which is why the capacity is so low.  Again, I've forgotten, we had the
prints for the TA11 controller and its very possible the format info was in
there -- I really don't remember.   It was just a stream of bits down the
tape, not serpentine like a QIC tape (which has a head that switches
'tracks' and writes a long stream turns the tape around and then switches
to the next head and writes it backward.   I've forgotten if you got one to
two passes on TA11.  Traditional Phillips tape could be flipped over (side
1 and 2).   I don't remember if TA11's worked that way.

FWIW: Phil Karn (*a.k.a. *KA9Q) and I as lab partners, built an 8085 based
controller for our project for the RT course that could read/write them
using a standard cheap radio shack style music drive but with different
'tronics that we created for the read/write.   Phil had built up his custom
S100 Z80 system (the machine he used to write the KA9Q TCP) and we
interfaced it that system.   He took the drive with him when we graduated
(remember that  8" floppy drives in those days were still pretty expensive
for a student).

I don't remember much more than that to be honest.  Our 8085 work was done
in C and Assembler on a UNIX box at Mellon Institute.  My memory is that we
prototyped our cassette system was on a Multibus 8085 originally - one of
the distributed Front-End prototypes we had Mellon, which I had access.  We
later moved it to Phil's machine after I made a custom PC board just for
the controller and the r/w amps.

Clem