[HECnet] Proxy to VMS?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Fri May 1 13:05:49 PDT 2020

I've looked a bit further and my guess is that Tops-20 doesn't implement
proxies, but this is not definitive.

I am not sure that I have either the latest documentation or sources for
the NICE interface on Tops-20 (sadly, DEC never released the sources for
NMLT20).  I had thought that this was because NMLT20 might have been
written in BLISS and shared, but looking at the executable did not
immediately provide proof.

NMLT20 is communicated with by the NCP sub-mode of the Tops-20 Galaxy
Operator Interface (OPR).  In order to do this, parse tables are
provided and these are in MACRO (NCPTAB.MAC).  None of the keywords
therein match PROXY.

As far as "NCP SET EXEC OUT PROX ENA" is concerned, the only keyword I
can parse after that is TIMER.  This is about the only place in Tops-20
where you configure DECnet. /Except/... To enable NI DECnet in the first
place, you've got to put a few lines in the SYSTEM: config file.  I have
the source for that (SETSPD) and that doesn't parse PROXY, either.

So it doesn't seem as if Tops-20 knows anything about proxies.