[HECnet] More NRT

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue May 5 13:34:31 PDT 2020

Hi.

On 2020-05-05 22:08, Thomas DeBellis wrote:
> Johnny,
>
> Thanks for the screen shots!  It figures RSX gets it right with
> everybody...  One wonders whether the group didn't have sufficient
> 'weight' to throw around to get others groups to see their point of
> view, as it were.  At a certain point, there appears to have been a
> significant amount of NIH going on, particularly after the VMS/BLISS
> corporate direction/mandates came down.

Oh, I wouldn't say they got things right. Just that you had some more
development going on for a long time on DECnet/RSX, which comes as no
surprise. However, they were unmaintained for the longest time, and I
think they don't work out of the box anymore, and I had to fix a few
things in the code.

> So RRS and HOST are different NRT client applications, then?  Can you
> comment on the protocols spoken?  Or would you have source available?

Yes, they are different programs. There is also RVT, for talking to VMS
hosts without using CTERM.

I can maybe comment on the protocol details, if I look at the sources. I
do not have enough in my head, and I don't think I can share the sources
at this time.

> What about what the RSX NRT server wants?  Is there anything I should be
> pushing down the pipe before handing the connection over to the monitor?

I could look at that as well, but I would really recommend people to use
telnet if possible instead. :-)