[HECnet] More NRT

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue May 5 14:06:39 PDT 2020

> On May 5, 2020, at 4:08 PM, Thomas DeBellis <tommytimesharing at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Johnny,
>
> Thanks for the screen shots!  It figures RSX gets it right with everybody...  One wonders whether the group didn't have sufficient 'weight' to throw around to get others groups to see their point of view, as it were.  At a certain point, there appears to have been a significant amount of NIH going on, particularly after the VMS/BLISS corporate direction/mandates came down.
>
> So RRS and HOST are different NRT client applications, then?  Can you comment on the protocols spoken?  Or would you have source available?

I was pretty sure I had done a short writeup a while ago.  Just found it.  It was done in 2000, as part of an effort on my part to improve "dnterm", the Linux remote terminal client.  I'm fairly sure I created it by reverse engineering the source code of the RSTS client.  Take it with some grains of salt, but I'm fairly sure it was sufficiently accurate to allow dnterm to talk all four protocols.

BTW, Linux uses TOPS-20 mode, I think.  That's basically a raw character (character at a time) transport.  RSTS has a choice of line mode or character mode.  RSX and VMS, as Johnny explained, try to offload the entire terminal driver semantics onto the other end, which makes the client a nice challenge on a system like RSTS that is entirely different.

	paul