[HECnet] Cisco DECnet routers and NML

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Tue May 5 19:00:11 PDT 2020

Where I used to live, I had three great ISP's to chose from, so I picked
two for redundancy, the secondary being the static IP ISP below, whom I
had also used in NYC (actually LIC).

But sometimes you don't have overall control where you wind up and now I
'only' have two ISP's that ferociously compete; one being a lot more
reasonable about IP addresses and port blocking. Let's say I was more
fortunate than others.

If I ever move again (which I have mixed feelings about), connectivity
will certainly be an important consideration.  I don't know how my wife
would feel about no running water; Mrs. will have her baths...  On the
other hand, she is almost as big a nerd as I am, so that conversation
might be 'interesting'.  I guess if a sparkling river ran through the
place and I told her I'd haul the water, she'd go for it.

Hauling water in the winter is tough; particularly if you happen to slip
and fall in.  WOW!  You'd think the water was colder than the ice and
snow.  I made it back to the house with two buckets pretty quick.