[HECnet] Cisco DECnet routers and NML

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue May 5 15:41:01 PDT 2020

On 5/5/20 6:37 PM, Thomas DeBellis wrote:
> Oh, there's hardly any need for such language; they'll pretty much do
> what you want if you threaten them with payment.
>
> For residential offerings, which what Paul probably has, certain ports
> are blocked for your 'benefit'; 25 being one of them for one of the
> local carriers here.
>
> So naturally I called up and whined about it to be promptly referred the
> commercial offerings department whose basic business model appears to be
> "Bring your wallet".  But a lot less was done for you (or to you).

  Yup.  But you get a real net connection.

  What it has all become is repugnant, of course, but at least real
connections are still available.

> I only know of one carrier here who will let you do whatever you want;
> but they're great--no DHCP nonsense: you get a static IP for the same
> price.  I used them for years until I moved to an area where they didn't
> have service.  Darn near broke my heart...

  When I move (which is something I'll never do again), the first thing
I check is availability of good connectivity.  Next is running water.

  I can go to the store for water.  It's a lot harder for packets.