[HECnet] VMS system with guest login

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu May 7 14:38:47 PDT 2020

On 2020-05-07 23:07, John Forecast wrote:

>>> The above list looks very similar to what I have running. ACTIVE NODES for a nonrouting node is defined as all nodes at the other end of a logical link, adjacent nodes and the designated router.
>>
>> I include the executor in active nodes, and that's generally what I've seen others do.  The spec does not say so, interestingly enough.  The spec is also confused because "adjacent nodes" isn't defined on non-routing nodes; the only adjacency they have is the designated router.  I'm assuming it wasn't the intent for this to show the "on-NI cache", I don't remember seeing anyone do that.
>>
>> 	paul
>>
> SHOW ACTIVE NODES on both RSX and VMS does the equivalent of SHOW EXECUTOR SUMMARY followed by all the other “active” nodes. I don’t think anyone used the “on-NI cache” but it looks as though both RSX and VMS keep a cache of recently computed round-trip delays and use that for “adjacent nodes”.

Exactly what is included in "ACTIVE NODES" and "ADJACENT NODES" in RSX
is a topic I've discussed with Paul before.

DECnet actually do have a formal definition for these, but RSX is not
completely following it.

For ACTIVE NODES, it's adjacent nodes, as well as any node for which RSX
have some statistics (so yes, the round trip delay is a sign that it
have statistics).

ADJACENT NODES on the other hand, are nodes that you have a direct
connection to, and/or are online.

So, any nodes that are at the other end of any point to point circuit,
as well as any nodes that are online on an ethernet that the RSX machine
is also on.

So there are nodes that might not be adjacent, but might be active. But
the other way around cannot happen.