[HECnet] BQTCP without DECnet

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri May 8 19:32:19 PDT 2020

On 2020-05-09 03:51, Lee Gleason wrote:

>    I'm working on an 11/73 running Mplus  that is tight on disk space,
> to the point that DECnet won't fit. I was wondering if RSX TCP/IP (that
> consumes less disk space) would work on a Q bus machine without DECnet.
> It's documented as possible for Unibus machines - can it work on a QBus
> system?

In theory it could. The problem is that you need some device driver for
the Qbus ethernet card, and unfortunately DEC didn't provide any. There
is for the Unibus ethernet, which is why that works.

If DECnet is installed on the machine, TCP/IP will be using the drivers
provided through DECnet, so that they can co-exist. And that is usually
how it is used, so I have never bothered looking into writing a device
driver of my own for the Qbus ethernet cards.

If you find one somewhere, we could look into what would be required for
it to be used by TCP/IP.